My friend made the spongiest cake. It was so spongey, I kept squishing it coz it was really fascinating. I’ve never met a cake so spongey! It was totally like a sponge! Ok enough with the sponge.
Anyhow, I got the recipe from her and I’m never one for following a recipe to the T. Of course I made changes. Of course, I made it chocolate. 💡Then when it was done, I thought to myself “I must ask her why hers didn’t shrink as it cooled…”. Then I remembered that I had no right to ask her anything as I had totally changed her recipe! Haha!
💡I found out later that upon taking the cake out of the oven, I need to drop the cake to prevent shrinkage. It only shrunk a very teeny tiny bit, so yah, this method works! 😃
Chocolate Spongey Cake (8″x8″)
6 egg yolks
25g cocoa powder
90g atta flour/ white wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together until well mixed. The batter will be quite thick.
2. In another bowl, whisk the whites, sugar and cream of tartar until stiff peak.
3. Scoop a few large spoonful of the whisked whites into the chocolate batter to thin it out. Then incorporate the chocolate batter into the whisked whites with a wire whisk.
4. Pour into an 8″x8″ lined pan. Tap out the large air pockets by picking up the pan a little and dropping it.
5. Bake in a water bath in a preheated 150c oven for about 45 min.
6. Leave to cool in the oven for about 1/2 hour, with the oven door ajar.
7. Cool before eating. Food tastes better when you have to wait. 😉
I like mine. It’s chocolate. Enough said.